14/08/2026
Horse drawn carriages in Dean street, late 1880s. The view is looking to the east, east of Kiewa street. The fence of the 1860 Courthouse can be recognised on the left of the street. On the right is A Goetz, watchmaker and jeweller – he moved to the site in 1886 after operating from Kiewa street. Next is A Cass, wholesale and retail fruiterer, he advertised at that site from 1878 to the mid-1880s. The next store is Bon Marche drapery, at that site for about 10 years from the mid-1880s. The Albury Banner newspaper office is the tall building then the second of three buildings at that site occupied by the AMP Society – the first burnt down in December 1885, the second was demolished to make for the third which opened in 1941.