30/07/2026
Federal Building
Collins Street, Melbourne
c1968
This is a view of the south side of Collins Street, between King and Spencer streets, in the late 1960s. The Federal Building has a broad frontage and was built as an office and warehouse for the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company in 1883.
Designed by the eminent architect, Lloyd Taylor, the building extended a city block in depth to Flinders Lane. It was claimed by the Age, at the time of its construction, to be the largest private building in Australia. Taylor designed the grand façade of the building with large proportions, large areas of fenestration and fine detailing. The entrance columns and piers are vermiculated, that is they are expressed with wavy and irregular lines that look a little like they are worm eaten.
The building was renamed the Federal Building after it was purchased by the adjacent Federal Hotel in 1946. The Federal Hotel, formerly the Federal Coffee Palace, is partially visible at left in the photograph. The hotel intended at that time to redevelop both sites with a new hotel complex, but this was never realised. By the 1960s, the large ornate parapet of the Federal Building had had its ornamentation removed, and its pronounced cornice concealed by steel cladding, diminishing the detailing of the façade.
As seen in this photograph the Federal Building gave this portion of Collins Street a distinct air of sophistication, a degree of urbanity more commonly associated with the Paris End of Collins Street than its western end of mercantile uses, warehousing and shipping concerns. Sadly, both the Federal Building and the Federal Hotel were demolished. For many years the broad site of the Federal Building was a hole in ground, used for car parking for decades. Visible at that time were some of its basement walls that remained along the Collins Street frontage of the site. It remained that way until the existing building on its former site was completed in 2015.
Source of photograph: State Library of Victoria