08/13/2026
Frank J. Banta brought his family to Lima from Troy in 1881. He started in fruit and groceries, but expanded to the manufacture of candy and gum. His candy factory was on the southeast corner of Central & Elm, although there was an earlier one on W. North Street which went up in flames in 1902. Their products included hard candies, creams, chocolates, and gums that had names like "Sweet Clover," "Banana," Blood Orange," Lima Fruit," Florida Fruit," Smacks," and Pepsin," among others. A lawsuit with the Beeman Company ensued over the gum manufacture, but Banta stuck with all sorts of candy and gum until going under in the Depression. In 1893, Mr. Banta had a house built in the Golden Block of W. Market Street, designed by local architect Frank Leech, which was later sold to John Van D**e of the Solar Refinery, and eventually became the property of the Allen County Museum and Historical Society, thanks to the generosity of then-owner James A. MacDonell. The house is now known as the MacDonell House, is furnished in Victorian style and open to the public for tours. Mr. Banta died in 1945. He was predeceased by his first wife, Mamie (John) Banta in 1900. His second wife, Cora (Sullivan), survived until 1952. Strangely, headstones mark the graves of both Mrs. Bantas, however, none graces the resting place of their husband who is buried between them.